Unmasking Secrets and Finding Hope in WWI England: A review of Pepper Basham's The Bachelor Spy

 


"For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light."
Luke 8:17 ESV

Are you looking for a clean, romance with some mystery and a dash of humor?  Then look no further than Pepper Basham's The Bachelor Spy, the fifth installment of the Freddie and Grace Mystery series.  If you love Jen Turano, Mary Connealy, or Karen Witemeyer; you have to add Pepper Basham to your list of favorite authors.  I fell in love with her reading the first book of the series, The Mistletoe Countess where readers are introduced to the beloved Freddie and Grace.

For lovers of mystery and historical fiction, this read combines the best of both worlds and gives readers a satisfying dose of romance (for us romantics at heart).  Set in England,  Lady Grace's beloved Frederick (Freddie) is off at the front lines serving his country in war.  They open their home, Havensbrooke, as a hospital for injured soldiers.  Unbeknownst to this avid reader and junior sleuth, the hospital has become infiltrated with a German spy.  When Freddie's cousin Stephen Blake shows up "injured" Grace begins to suspect all is not as it seems.  Will Stephen be able to protect Lady Asterly (Grace) and his long lost love, Evie Montgomery.

Not only does this book emphasize that all that is hidden in darkness will be made known and come to light, and God will never leave regardless of the dark.  Mrs. Basham expertly weaves other beautiful and wonderful theological themes into the stories of the beloved characters.  From Lady Asterly all the way to their small adopted daughter, Zhara (must read previous books to find out how this sweet impish girl becomes part of their lives).  One other theme throughout is the state of human brokenness.  Each person is broken, and God uses broken people to accomplish his great and sovereign work.  In the midst of our brokenness he brings us in relationship with others allowing us to work together to advance the kingdom of light.

The Bachelor Spy focuses on Stephen Blake and his story, but Basham neatly wraps up and gives readers closure to Freddie and Grace's story as well.  Each character is richly brought to life with depth and realness that allows readers to identify with them.  As believers, we see our true identity comes from our Heavenly Father, the author of our own story.  This book checked all the boxes for me.

Simba's Corner



Yes!  Finally, a character that I can totally identify with.  Shams (the adorable ginger kitty) is the perfect companion for sweet Zhara.  Don't let his antics fool you, he is a magnificent specimen of the feline world.  My only complaint, is that he should have been in more scenes.

Meowmy loved this book so much!  I knew that I was in for one of her reading binges as soon as I saw she was reading another Pepper Basham book.  My treats were delayed by several seconds, and she did not go to bed at her usual time, which bothered my sister, Frosty.  I, on the other hand, was unbothered as I got to curl up and supervise her reading.  I enthusiastically give this book four paws.

Conclusion:



Any time I read one of my beloved Pepper Basham books, I want to cozy on my couch with a warm soft blanket.  So grab this book (available at your favorite book store) and a cup of hot peppermint tea and some cookies.  I paired this with my First Bloom of Springs candle from Bath and Body works (any floral scent would be perfect to create the cozy mood of the English countryside).  I am so thankful that I was able to read this book by checking it out from my local library.   Cozy up and you will not be disappointed.  I would also highly recommend the other books in this amazing series.  Happy Reading!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sometimes you Stay" by Liz Johnson: A Red Door Inn Romance

An Amish Second Chance Romance Surprised By Love #8 By: Rachel J Good

Designed with Love by Tracie Peterson