Farm to Table Mysteries By: Amanda Flower


"For God will bring every deed into judgement, with every secret thing, whether good or evil."
Ecclesiastes 12: 14  ESV

If you are fans of Lynn Cahoon or Lorna Barrett (cozy mystery authors) you will love Amanda Flower.  I first became a fan of her by reading the Amish Matchmaker Mystery Series and An Amish Candy Shop Mystery Series.  When searching to see other books by her at my local library I discovered the Farm to Table mystery series.  I am so glad that I did.  Over the past week, I have read all five of these delightful books, and wanted to share them, hoping others will enjoy them as much as I have.  The five books in the series include:   Farm to Trouble, Put out to Pasture, In Farm's Way, Crime and Cherry Pits, and Natural Barn Killer.

The series starts off with main character, Shiloh Bellamy, returning to her home town of Cherry Glen, Michigan, after 15 years of living in Los Angeles as a true crime TV producer.  Having fled her hometown after back to back losses, she is called back home to help save the family farm.  Throughout this five book series, Fowler takes readers on an incredible journey where Shiloh meets up with old friends, makes new friends, and tries to rebuild a strained relationship with her father.  Not everyone welcomes her back, however, and on top of her personal crisis, dead bodies keep turning up.  In the first installment, Shiloh is pushed to the forefront of the murder investigation as a suspect.  In the subsequent books, Shiloh steps up to try to solve murders to protect friends, family, and even to clear the name and memory of her beloved late grandmother.

While these books are not Christian books, they are clean, cozy mysteries with just the right amount of humor thrown in.  She has such a way of her audience, where I felt like I was right next to Shiloh and rooting for her and all her problems.  There was much growth in Shiloh and Quinn, a friend of hers from the past.  Her father, who is older and somewhat of a curmudgeon, redeems himself in little ways throughout the series.  I was  reminded of the biblical principle that all things will eventually be brought to light, and that secrets will come out.  As a believer, I take great comfort, in knowing that our sovereign Father is a God of great mercy but also judgement and justice.  We, as believers, know that this mercy and justice met together perfectly at the cross.  

Simba's Corner

   Finally, I get to have a voice in these books that Mom reads.  She became quite addicted to this series and devoured them in a week.  I will have to say treat delivery was interrupted somewhat, so we will have to talk about that.  Also, bed-time was delayed, and I didn't get my required amount of beauty sleep.  Other than that, I was quite impressed with this series.  I would like to rate some of the characters, that I found to be the stars of the show.

  • Huckleberry:   This cute little pug went everywhere with his Mom, Shiloh.  He even allowed her to dress him up in a winter coat and boots (he might have protested a bit there, but no cat would have allowed themselves to be disgraced in that manner).  Overall, for a dog, he was not bad and I would rate him 9/10.
  • The Ginger Barn Cats:  These are my people.  From the beginning they were there, just being awesome, as we ginger kitties are.  I give them 10/10
  • Esmeralda:  The long haired, part Siamese cat.  Wow!  Such an impressive and magnificent character.  She ruled the farm, the cabin, and the rest of the farm as only a feline is capable.  I loved how she guarded her sleep with a hiss.  She gets a 1000/10.
  • Diva:  Oh my, I still have nightmares about this scary chicken who had the nerve to think she was in charge.  She gets a 0/10.
  • Hazel:  Last, but certainly not least.  This darling girl visited the farm to help whenever her dad and grandma let her.  She was a favorite among the animals, especially Esmeralda (and we all know cats are excellent judges of character).  She receives a 10/10 as well.

Conclusion
 Simba very enthusiastically gives this delightful cozy mystery series 4 paws.  Cozy up with your favorite blanket and candle (as this series has a different setting in each book a variety of candles would work.  Bath and Body works has the perfect cherry scented candle (Black Cherry Merlot), that would pair nicely with these delightful books.  I would recommend some nice cozy Cherry scones or some very cherry cupcakes along with your favorite coffee (a nice French vanilla Latte would be an excellent pairing).  Cozy up with your furry friend, and escape to Cherry Glen, Michigan.   I am so thankful that I was able to read these books on my e-reader from my local library.  They are available for purchase at Amazon.  Happy Reading!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sometimes you Stay" by Liz Johnson: A Red Door Inn Romance

An Amish Second Chance Romance Surprised By Love #8 By: Rachel J Good

Designed with Love by Tracie Peterson